About the Knights of Columbus
Thanks to the efforts of Father Michael J. McGivney, assistant pastor of St. Mary’s Church in New Haven and some of his parishioners, the Connecticut state legislature on March 29, 1882, officially chartered the Knights of Columbus as a fraternal benefit society. The Order is still true to its founding principles of charity, unity and fraternity.
The Knights was formed to render financial aid to members and their families. Mutual aid and assistance are offered to sick, disabled and needy members and their families. Social and intellectual fellowship is promoted among members and their families through educational, charitable, religious, social welfare, war relief and public relief works.
The Order has helped families obtain economic security and stability through its life insurance, annuity and long-term care programs, and has contributed time and energy worldwide to service in communities.
The Knights of Columbus has grown from several members in one council to more than 15,100 councils and 1.9 million members throughout the world. Learn more at the Knights of Columbus website.
Eldon Knights Council #7133
The Eldon Sacred Heart Knights of Columbus is Council #7133. It was formed in 1978 under the pastorate of Monsignor John Dreisoerner (who was pastor of Sacred Heart from 1969 to 1981). The Knights have accomplished much good for the parish by eliminating debt, providing outings for youth and funding various other projects. Additionally, they accomplish much good for the community through funds raised from breakfasts, fish frys, the Tootsie Roll Drive, Gun Raffle, Car Show, and other campaigns through the years. Visit the Knights Activity Pictures to see recent efforts funded.